Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ch...ch...ch...ch...chaaaanges

I'm wearing a suit today. As in, black dress pants, a black and white button up blouse (with ruffles! I don't even know if they're in our out, and I don't care!) and a black suit coat. Oh, also high heeled boots, except those are mostly hidden by my pants. Why the detailed description of my clothing, you ask? Mostly because I've gotten comments all frickin' day long about it. "Why are you so dressed up?" (I didn't think I WAS.) "Are you going somewhere special after work?" (Um, I get out of work at 8, and I'm a little old lady, so no. Definitely not.) "You look really nice today." (I swear to God I don't look like a scrub all the other days... at least I don't THINK I do.)

Anyway.

I've decided that I need to work a little harder at being spontaneous. I've been a single mom for four years now, and I've managed to get myself and the kiddos into a pretty strict routine. And when someone tries to change it... well, I kind of... resist.

Last Thursday, I went to Bill's, thinking just the two of us were hanging out. Except that when I got there, his cousin and a friend of theirs had already taken over the place. Everyone had a drink in hand, and the music was cranked up. There seemed to be a little party in progress, and I'd had no warning. So I had a mini freak-out.

And seriously... what kind of reaction is THAT? There were only two extra people at Bill's house, and they were both people I've met and like. And yet, when I saw that they were there, I ALMOST turned around and left. Bill talked me into staying, but it took quite a bit of convincing. So why wasn't I able to just take things in stride like a normal person? Is it because I'm so used to being on my own? Is it because just about every other Thursday of the past 4 years, I've gone home, turned on the tv, made myself a bowl of ramen noodles, and vegged until bedtime? Probably.

It's definitely time to start embracing this sudden (wonderful) change in my life. It just might take a little bit of effort.

No comments: