Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And the winner is...

Ok, I swear to God this is my last post about the presidential election, for two reasons. 1. Because I'm fairly certain everyone and his or her brother is blogging about the election, and 2. Because everyone else really knows more about it than I do anyway.

That said, I'm glad Obama won. Really I am. Partly because now I get to hold it over the heads of my entirely Republican family, but also because he seems like a good guy (and please please please don't prove me wrong here, Mr. Obama). Also, my kids were rooting for him, so it was fun to tell them this morning that he will be our next president. My 5 and 7 year old are much more aware than I was at that age, and I think that's a great thing.

There is, however, one draw-back to Obama winning the presidency, and it is this: I live in New England, and Yankees don't know how to talk. I love my dad to pieces, but if your name ends with an "a" he will automatically add an "r" to it. I'm pretty sure that's why my sisters and I do NOT have names that end in "a," but my double cousins all do. So Andrea, Sonia and Victoria become Andre-er, Sonyer, and Victorier. Unexplainably, Yankees also tend to subtract the "r" from a word that is SUPPOSED to end in one. "Car" is "caah," "bar" is "baah"... you get the idear (sorry, couldn't help myself). And while I've worked hard to keep the accent out of my speech as much as possible (although my friends from the south say it's quite obvious), the old-school Yankees do no such thing.

So anyway, after learning this morning that Obama had won the election, and after hearing my boyfriend (another born and bred Yankee) say his name out loud, I've decided I'm just going to have to get used to him being referred to as "Obalmer" for at least the next four years.

Sheesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jamie....YOU ROCK!!! I too was glad Obama won. (Don't tell Andrea and Scott. They've been the worst)

And I found Obalmer very funny. I want to hear this.