Monday, August 4, 2008

Going batty

So I'm pretty sure this is a serious case of karma, kicking me in the ass:

When I was in high school, my best friend's brother (who was also a good friend of mine at the time, but who I made the mistake of dating as an adult, and as a result, we are no longer friends... but that's a story for another time. Anyway) woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of a bat, thumping against his bedroom walls. At first, he thought it was a bird, but when he realized what it actually was, he yelled so loud it woke up everyone in the house. When his sister relayed the story to me the next day, I thought it was hilarious, and called him Batman for several months afterward.

Well guess what, people? I am here to tell you right now that having a bat fly around your bedroom in the middle of the night is not that hilarious after all. In fact, it's actually downright terrifying. Mine appeared last night around midnight, and I was only alerted to the fact when I realized that my cat was going BONKERS. Turns out, she was chasing a big ol' bat all around my room. I raced out of there as fast as I could, and hid out in the bathroom for about 5 minutes. Then, thinking maybe it would find its way outside, I went downstairs and opened the front door (and went back to hide in the bathroom again for awhile).

I didn't hear anything after that, so assuming I had solved the problem, I went back to bed about 15 minutes later... only to be awakened by little squaking noises at 1:30. And even though the bat was nowhere in sight, I spent the rest of the night on the living room couch.

I'm pretty sure that bat is still somewhere in my apartment. And I'm scared out of my mind. Brian said he'll come over after I get out of work and help me get rid of the flying creepy thing and once again I'm thanking my lucky stars that I have a best friend who's always there when I need help.

But oh my gosh... a bat. And to David T... if you ever happen to read this... I apologize profusely for ever picking on you for your late night bat experience. I was so, so wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol. I'm not going to laugh at you because I don't want the same thing to happen to you. But I will laugh at the situation, because I can just imagine you hiding in the bathroom and sleeping on the couch looking up the stairs with terror. lol. :P